Spiritual Advisor: Fr. Constancio Noronha
Contact Person: Mr. Martin Correa, Mr. Anthony Dias
About BCS: To create a just society, through involvement in Socio, Civic & Political affairs. Committed to a better tomorrow, today.
Aims & Objectives: To promote the Social, Economic, Political, Cultural, Education and general welfare of Catholics in particular and Christians in general. To undertake Humanitarian work, Projects or Schemes for the needy irrespective of race, caste, creed or community and to do Charitable work in general.
It’s a non-political organization registered as a Public Trust under the Bombay Public trusts Act 1950. The BCS is a recognized lay association of the Archdiocese of Bombay, affiliated to All India Catholic Union that is in turn recognised by the Catholics Bishops Conference of India.
The BCS Unit of our parish was established in the year 1991 and has won the Best Unit Award twice and this year has been Awarded the “ The Challenger Trophy 2018 “. The Executive body of the Sabha consists of :
|Martin Correa – Chairman||9821106936|
|Anthony Dias – Vice Chairman||9821291660|
|K P Joseph – Vice Chairman||9967032647|
|Patricia Farrow – Honorary Secretary||9819037881|
|Ashley Correa – Honorary Treasurer||9821898823|
|Ashwin Rodricks – Jt. Secretary||9320157575|
|Noel Gonsalves – Jt. Treasure||9920667937|
Summary of Work: The BCS Unit of St. Thomas Church Goregaon – east, has been actively involved in the following areas:
- Medical Centre:A full-fledged medical centre is being run by the Bombay Catholic Sabha every Sunday between 10.30am to 12.30pm. We have a panel of Doctors who attend to the community who visit the medical centre. On an average the centre caters to around 20 patients every Sunday. Only those families who are economically poor are registered at the centre, irrespective of caste / creed / religion.
A team of qualified para-medical staff ably assisted by the sisters from Premankur are present to assist the Doctors and dispense medicines. Each of the committee members and volunteers from the Parish are given schedules for duty in the centre. Apart from having a medical centre every Sunday, the Sabha conducts specialized camps like:
- Blood Donation Camp, free Dental , Eye & General medical checkup, organ donation awareness programmes and specialized Doctors are called on such occasions.
- Civic and Political Issues: The BCS has been at the forefront in taking up Civic and Political issues in the city of Mumbai. The members of our Parish Unit have actively participated in the protest rallies and silent march, which have been organized by the centre to highlight the issues: Development Plan 2034, Save Aarey, Demolition of Crosses across Mumbai, Encroachment on church land, The Sahar land acquisition, Pereira wadi demolition, Infant Jesus Church and School issue, River March to save and protect rivers.
- Education and Training: The Sabha organizes career guidance programme for those who have completed SSC, HSC, Graduates and post Graduates, Civil services guidance for Youth to enable appear for IAS, IPS Civil services. Guidance to fill forms of Maulana Azad and Government scholarships for school and college students.
- Senior Citizens I-Card: Senior Citizens I-Card / Aadhar card guidance at our help desk on every Sunday morning. A number of senior citizens of the parish have benefitted out of this service.
Meeting Date: Second Sunday of the month at 7.00 p.m. in the Parish Conference Room.